Monday, April 19, 2010

My Website

Please visit my website at www.cs.trinity.edu/~edooley1.

After studying HTML code, I figured making this website would be quite difficult, but using Microsoft Expression Web was actually a breeze. (I used Expression Web to build most of the site in class or in the CLT, and just tweaked a few things at home with KompoZer.) To do some of the more advanced things, like embedding video, etc, I had to do some hand coding , but most things I could do easily using the Expression Web menu bars.

I am especially proud of my “Relevant Experience” page. In addition to the text formatting, I was able to embed a film clip after visiting another website and right clicking, “view source.” I was also pleased that I was able to embed a downloadable PDF version of my resume for website visitors to print on the “Contact Me” page.

I might have changed the way the navbar worked, creating it perhaps in Expression Web rather than in Photoshop Elements. I wanted to somehow make it be highlighted when I was actually on that particlar page, but I’m not sure how to do that.

My biggest technical challenge was positioning the pictures exactly where I wanted them on the page. I wanted them to be aligned specifically with certain text elements, but it was difficult to do using tables. I used the “help” menu and discovered layers, which I used instead of tables.

My biggest design challenge was coming up with a home page that looked good on all computers (since some monitors are bigger than others). My first conceptualization included elements being left-justified, which didn’t look good on computers with huge monitors, as the left-justified elements actually appeared in the middle of the page. I ended up creating a homepage using centered elements instead, which I’m actually quite proud of. (I used Photoshop Elements.)

I created this website to be a companion piece to my resume. Since I am going into the communications field, I thought prospective employers might be interested in how I organized and presented my own information. Thus, I can present this website to prospective employers. I’ll also be sure to share it with my family and friends!

I know that the ability to create a website is a valuable skill in today’s job market. While I am likely create a website for another class, it’s also possible that I will create one in the course of my career.

2 comments:

  1. I loved your website! It was very professional and well designed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on your website! Very well done.

    ReplyDelete